12 July 2009

Blogging Tip - Tweetable Links

A what? It's a link at the bottom of each of your posts that automatically takes the reader to their twitter home page and pre writes a tweet for them - the reader can then amend the tweet (if they want to) before they share your post with their followers.




I found a tutorial on Avlor's Imprints blog via the Handmade Marketing website over the weekend and thought I'd give it a go and share it with you in my own words, so you can see exactly how I did it (ie. really simple no tech speak just copy and paste!) The original tutorial explains the html, I'm omitting that to make it as easy as possible.

Now don't be scared - it involves Html! Aaaaarghhh, ok so for those of you still reading here goes...

When you are writing a new post or editing an existing post click on Edit Html next to the Compose tab. Scroll down to the bottom of the post to your last bit of text and insert the following exactly as below using copy and paste. Put it above any of the html gobbledegook you find and below your last sentence, returns and spaces don't seem to matter - you can check the position in the preview window to be sure it's ok.


<a href="http://twitter.com/home?status=write tweet and url here" target="_blank">write link here</a>



The tweet is the bit in red, so that is what will appear in the little box when the reader's twitter page opens, not much point doing this unless you include a link to your blog or the actual blog post. The link, what your reader will actually click on at the bottom of the blog post is the text in blue. Obviously you can put the tweetable link anywhere but the bottom seems more logical.

Carefully edit just the red and blue parts to say what you want and do not change any of the other parts - and that's it done! You'll have a tweetable link! Just like this one...


While you're composing the post you can test the link by clicking on preview and clicking it. I'm adding these links by editing the post once I've published it so that I can get the url for the post and trunkate it to be sure to keep in the twitter 140 limit. (I use http://www.tinyurl.com/ )

I like to use twitter as a bit of a laugh mostly and I'm not keen when people use every tweet as an advert as it gets a bit boring if you're following them, there is definitely a happy medium to be had so that people who follow you don't feel bombarded and yet you can still use twitter to boost your publicity! I must admit on occasion I've got a bit over excited about posts and tweeted them about 3 times!




I can see this as being a really useful way of getting more people to see your blog posts with minimal effort (always good), which may or may not be why you blog but for me I get a kick out of knowing people are reading so the more the merrier! (excluding all wierdos and spammers please)

click here to tweet this post